Saturday, 15 March 2014

Springtime simple messy bun



Hi everyone!

With spring getting underway, it's time to think about refreshing your hairstyle with a touch of something special. I have always loved styles that incorporate French plaits but have never been able to do them (and believe me, I've tried). I don't know if it's something to do with the layers in my hair or just my own incompetence, but it's a skill I've never been able to master.

So, one very uneventful day, I had a bit of an experiment to see if I could create a look that incorporated something that resembled a French plait but without all the tricky stuff. It was then that I came up with this hairstyle which I am wearing increasingly as it gets more sunny and I want to dress up a casual outfit. It's super quick (I did this in under 10 minutes including taking the photos) and looks a lot more complicated than it is.

So without further ado, here's how it's done:
1) Start with clean dry hair with a side parting. It doesn't have to be straightened or curled, just as it comes (admittedly I often do this hairstyle when I can't be bothered to wash my hair too because, as I admitted to a rather horrified colleague, I think the twisted detail distracts from the fact that my hair hair is unwashed).

2) Take a section of hair from the front and pin it back, twisting it once before you fix with a hair grip. It's useful if you think of this first section of hair as the amount of hair that would be in a side fringe/ use your actual side fringe if you have one. Oh, and another thing, don't pin it flat to your head, it looks better if there is a little volume in there.

(World's most unflattering picture)

3) Take a smaller section of hair from the side of your face and below the section you just pinned up. Twist this section of hair once and pin in place below the previous section of hair. Again, don't pin it too close to your head to add a bit of volume.



4) Repeat step 3



5) When you're done pinning, it's time to make your messy bun. For this hairstyle, a low bun works best - a higher bun will just mean that the grips get all caught up in the hair elastics and other such first world problems. I tend to use two thick hair bobbles to make sure my bun is extra secure. Using the first elastic, make the bun by tying your hair up as if tying a ponytail but don't drag your hair all the way through the elastic the last time.

6) To finish the bun with a messy look, use another hair elastic to wrap around the bun to take away the neat shape so that various strands of hair are sticking out randomly. Pull a few strands loose around your face to soften the look, fix with hairspray and voila! You have one super easy, springtime messy bun.



Do you have any quick and easy tips for creating springtime hairstyles? If so, please share - I'm always looking for ways to speed up my morning routine!

Want more? Follow me on twitter @jobancroft or on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment